Search
Left Quote    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
- Anon.    
Right Quote

[login] | [Register]
Forum Index » Web Design » Viewing Topic and Replies

Viewing Topic: Comments on my Blog
  This user is offline  superterran
  Subject: "Comments on my Blog" Posted: @ 2:07 am on Sep 30 2010   

Member #: 1270
Since: 08/05/10

So, i'm trying to decide rather or not I should roll my own comments bits for my blog, or just farm it out to a service like disqus. I like the general idea of blog comments as social mesh, but i'm weary of being so care-free with my data. I feel like it might be worth the trade-off, but i'm still on the fence. does anyone have any experience?

Edited at 02:15:24 am on 09/30/10

superterranxp |     Viewed: 7,595 Times | Reply to This | To top
  This user is offline  bs0d
  Subject: "re: Comments on my Blog" Posted: @ 1:36 pm on Sep 30 2010    

Member #: 1
Since: 02/06/05

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. But I don't have any experience using a service like disqus. In fact, I have not even heard of it.

I would say that (time provided), anything you can handle yourself you would be better off vs. oursourcing (and paying money).

-bs0d | AllSyntax.com

Viewed: 7,582 Times | Reply to This | To top
  This user is offline  superterran
  Subject: "re: Comments on my Blog" Posted: @ 2:35 am on Oct 01 2010    

Member #: 1270
Since: 08/05/10

Well, as a side project, I've been writing a script to dutifully fulfill my blogging needs. I'd like to think that eventually this piece of programming will all be polished and put on display somewhere, so I'd like for it to feel complete and have all the bits and parts that make up a good blog platform.

This leans me in to the direction of making with the in-house comment support. but one could make a convincing pitch for a service like disqus. Through a simple (if slightly under-explained ) javascript embed, one can have a single point where your personal hand-coded blog inherits some pretty powerful social integration. For instance, Facebook Connect support, gravitar support, the maybe of getting a higher pagerank by riding disqus' coat tails. Folks swear they get more comments now that they use it. True, I could do most all of this myself - but the fact is that scripts like these can easily carry more weight than the collective sum of my efforts.

So that's the jist. I added disqus to my blog just to try it out. Still on the fence.

http://blog.sup erterran.com/

superterranxp |     Viewed: 7,575 Times | Reply to This | To top
  This user is offline  bs0d
  Subject: "re: Comments on my Blog" Posted: @ 7:33 pm on Oct 01 2010    

Member #: 1
Since: 02/06/05

I hopped over to your link and took a look at the comments section. That is pretty handy how you can post from multiple accounts (twitter, FB, and so on). At the same time, that sort of removes a persons sense of anonymity. I could be completely wrong, but I would bet that you would see less posts from FB, Twitter logins vs. someone who dugg your site and wanted to sign-up. Above that, most would likely come from guest comments (if allowed) w/ some form of CAPTCHA to prevent spam bots. But to provide the option of a 'social mesh' expands the flexibility on commenting a bit.

In the end, I would say (as it appears you've already done) it's probably easy to just implement the disqus comments, and as time permits, you could develop your own. Because again, in my opinion, people are going to come to your site for something unique - so any cookie-cutter scripts makes what you have no different than the rest.
Code-on and show 'em what you've got!

-bs0d | AllSyntax.com

Viewed: 7,562 Times | Reply to This | To top
Viewing Page: 1 of 1

1 |

You must be logged in to post on the forums. Login or Register

"AllSyntax.com" Copyright © 2002-2017; All rights lefted, all lefts righted.
Privacy Policy  |  Internet Rank